Attacks On Journalists Continue In The Philippines
Posted By Mindanao Examiner | Saturday, August 16, 2008 08:09:58 AM
MANILA, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / August 16, 2008) – A Filipino journalist was killed by an unidentified gunman in an attack just outside his house in the town of Magarao in Bicol region’s Camarines Sur province.
The victim, Ronaldo Julia, was shot three times in the body at around 11 p.m. on Friday, his wife said. “He was shot a few meter outside our house,” she said.
Julia was writing for the Weekly Informer newspaper and as a broadcaster at a local radio station.
Journalists held a vigil at funeral house where Julia’s body was brought and condemned the attack.
Last week, two broadcasters of the Radio Mindanao Network - Dennis Cuesta in General Santos and Martin Roxas in Roxas province – were also killed in separate attacks.
Roxas was the program director of Radio Mindanao Network's dyVR and auditor of the Capiz chapter of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines.
Local and international media groups have also condemned the killings and urged authorities to immediately resolve the twin murders. (Mindanao Examiner)