MANILA (Mindanao Examiner / Sept. 25, 2012) – A Philippine migrants’ rights group Migrante-Middle East on Tuesday warned Filipinos working in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and other parts of the Middle East to take extra precaution following reports that a Qatari national had been infected by a variant of “severe acute respiratory” virus.
The report said the Qatari was infected after visiting Saudi Arabia.
“Amid the report about a Qatari national who was allegedly infected by a new variant of SAR virus after going to Saudi Arabia, which previously recorded similar incident, we advise our fellow overseas Filipino workers in Qatar and Saudi Arabia and in other parts of the Middle East to take extra care and to stay healthy,” said John Leonard Monterona, a regional coordinator for the Migrante-Middle East, in an advisory sent to the regional newspaper Mindanao Examiner.
“We are certain that both governments, Qatar and Saudi Arabia, respectively, are now taking steps to contain the spread of a new variant of SAR virus. But in case OFWs facing symptoms of SAR virus, we advise them to immediately take medical attention and treatment,” he added.
Monterona also called on the Philippine government to deploy medical attaché in every diplomatic post abroad who will provide medical bulletin, advice, and related medical services to Filipino workers.